Friday, June 21, 2013

Free-For-All Friday: Fragrance Fail Edition

Howdy y'all! It's Eva (again), introducing our Friday series called "Free-For-All Friday". What we post on FFAF is going to depend on what Lindsay or I feel like posting that week. Sometimes it might be a comparison review of two or three fragrances, sometimes it might be a fragrance review from a company other than Bath & Body Works, and sometimes (like today) it might be a Fragrance Fail.

For this week's Free-For-All Friday, I'm going to review a fragrance that didn't quite work out for me.

The fragrance in question? Victoria's Secret Sky Bright from the Brights collection.

Credit: victoriassecret.com

Let's get one thing straight for the record; I am NOT bashing Victoria's Secret or their fragrances (because there are quite a few I love...Love Spell or Lemon Escape, anyone?) or even this fragrance. Just telling you that the fragrance didn't work out in my favor. And here's why.

From the VS website: "Get Flirty in Sky Bright, a sunny blend of crisp apple and vibrant poppy".

Straight from the bottle, I really liked the fragrance. The apple is more of a clean "crisp" apple, not entirely clinical, but not at all like a warmer apple note that would be paired with honey or musk. And the poppy is most definitely there too, but is not overwhelming. Liking how it smelled in the bottle very much, I bought this fragrance in a body mist, body lotion, and the combination body wash/scrub. Happily ever after?

I think not.

I hadn't tried out the lotion or the body wash, just the body mist. I put it on one morning before school but quickly realized that I couldn't leave the house smelling like that. I don't know what happened to all the apple from the fragrance but it most definitely did not make it to my skin. Instead, I was left with strictly all the poppy from Sky Bright, only it turned very, very sour on me. So sour, it was like the floral arrangement that the late-for-anniversary-dinner-my-wife-is-going-to-kill-me-guy bought at the last minute and had neglected to smell first. Which is exactly what I forgot to do. I didn't try it before I bought it and ended up spending $25 on a fragrance that did me wrong. It isn't a total loss because I am going to gift it to a friend who will probably smell much better in this scent than I do!

The thing with fragrance that took me a long time to learn is that the way a fragrance smells in the bottle is not always how it will smell on you. Your body chemistry and natural scent mixes in with the elements of the fragrance you are wearing and can either compliment you...or make you smell like a dying sea monster. I was surprised that Sky Bright didn't pick up well on me (shocked, really) because absolutely anything with any kind of apple note (apple, apple blossoms, apple whatever) pick up on me extremely well. Why this one didn't, the world may never know.

This sounds like common sense to me now (and probably most of you) but I don't always follow that rule and end up making mistakes. It's okay to make mistakes though. That's how we learn. And sometimes, we just need a gentle reminder.

Overall, in the bottle, I give this fragrance a 6 out of 10. It's crisp, clean and fresh without making you smell like a fresh load of laundry or a funerary arrangement. I recommend that you go and give it a sniff  if you happen to like scents along the line of fresh and slightly fruity. Sky Bright is still available at Victoria's Secret stores and here.

Until next time, my friends,

Eva.


1 comment:

  1. In NYC, Advanced Spa offers best facial spa range including facial cleansers, facial creams and other skin care products to help give you a fresh and flawless complexion.

    ReplyDelete

We're always grateful to hear back from our readers, but please remember to comment respectfully, otherwise your comment may be taken down.